Friday, September 19, 2008

RESCUE FREAKS-Part 1 of 3!!!

WOW!! I don't know what else to say...Let's do a series to start conversation and perhaps redirect some thinking. Feel like stretching your mind a bit??? Here goes:

We have had a truckload of wack-job rescue folks coming out of the woodwork about us rescuing dogs. They email...they call...they beat us up for anything and everything, more than ever now that we are rescuing dogs and puppies. Hmmm...

Now, one would suspect that in the rescue world, everybody works together hand-in-hand to achieve the common good for disadvantaged dogs and puppies...all for one and one for all, right?? WRONG!!!

These rescue folks are so against "pet stores" (which IS the technical term for what The Perky Puppy is, even though we are not the TYPICAL pet store and that it's a part of MY HOUSE...I know-most of you didn't know that, but it's true. I live here. How's that for typical?) that they are just sure that we are doing something dirty or illegitimate. Unfortunately, many of these people love dogs so much that they've lost their common sense.

Let's explore:

Here's what I know:

  • Many (maybe even "most") pet stores should be closed down. They are interested in the dollar first and the dogs second, and often they don't know enough to do a good job or even do right by the puppies.
  • People who breed their female dogs over and over, with no vaccinations, who are dirt-bags and skimp on the puppies should be stopped...whether they have 5 dogs or 500 dogs.
  • Not all Amish are dirtbags. The words "Amish" and "puppy mill" are not always synonomous.
  • The average joe (backyard breeder) shouldn't breed their dog. Ever.
  • The Perky Puppy (as well as Play N Stay Pet Camp) are my bread-and-butter. Yes, I make money selling puppies (not a lot). It pays my bills. And Vanessa's and Jean's and Kasey's and Becky's and Penny's. Some dog folks think that's wrong. That's ok. You are entitled to your opinion. I do a hard day's work for a hard day's pay. It's not always fun, and we work very hard to be good at what we do.

    But here's what I also know:
  • The Perky Puppy's website gets 10,000 pageviews per month. In my best estimation, that means that 10,000 times per month, someone looks at the site who is either A) in the market for a puppy; or B) at the very least LOVES puppies.
  • Many people are uncomfortable (at best) with the "shelter experience". Many people just won't go to the shelter, where all of the dogs and puppies are waiting to find their match, where they are all stretching and begging for attention and hoping you'll pick them. People say, "I can't go there. I can't stand it. I just can't pick one, knowing that whoever doesn't get picked may get put to sleep, so I just don't go." We've heard it over and over again. (I know you rescue folks don't want to believe that one, but it's true. Not everyone can deal with the sights and sounds of an animal shelter. It's great that you go and that you push through and do for those dogs what nobody else really wants to do, but you really are rare.)
  • There are way too many unvaccinated/unneutered/neglected/starving/fleabit/overbred/underloved dogs around.

    So...what does one do about those things??? I'll tell you tomorrow. Sleep on it. Think out of the box. Put the dogs first. Forget black and white. Think in shades of gray.

    I'll see you tomorrow. I look forward to it.

No comments: